My Blog List

Monday 22 January 2018

ONE PAGER- NEUFELD- JANUARY 22 2018
I must admit, I don’t read newspapers, listen to the radio, or watch television.  I get my news online, typically from Google News (which is probably pretty bad, but somehow I feel better about getting information from an aggregated source like Google than picking one particular news company to deliver it with its own spin) or from snippets I pick up from social media.   I’d be the first to admit that I’m not terribly well informed, though I do go through phases of trying quite hard to stay on top of current events.
            I moved to Victoria from Alberta in 2015, at the time without concrete intentions of attending post-secondary school, and with no concept of what schools were available, let alone their reputations.  When I began considering furthering my education, I did a Google (!) search for ‘Victoria college’, and when Camosun no doubt popped up first, I perused the available programs until I found one that I found interesting.  I didn’t know much about Camosun- I’d seen the odd ad- but the fact that it came up first on a search engine was enough to sell me on it.

            I imagine that public relations are important in maintaining the image of the college, however, for someone new in town like me, the sole fact that it came up first on a Google search led me to believe it was the biggest and best college in town- and nothing has led me to believe otherwise.  Frankly, I don’t know if Camosun even has any other real contenders, aside from special interest (business/art/religious) schools, and UVic.  Unless some sort of horrible controversy arises that the college must scramble to play down, I feel that Camosun can probably get away with minimal PR without losing too much business or faith from the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment