My Blog List

Monday 26 February 2018

a real snarky paragraph omitted from my bike lanes piece

The last time I owned a bicycle (before it was stolen) was when I lived in Lethbridge, Alberta.  It was a children’s bike, much too small for me, but I felt safe on it because, frankly, it was short and I wasn’t scared of tipping over.  It was also small enough to legally be ridden on the sidewalk, and I took full advantage of this.  There are no bike lanes in Lethbridge.  There are, however, a lot of engine-gunnin’, gas-guzzlin’, pickup-drivin’ folk who own the road, or at least like to act like they do.  These people shouted slurs and catcalls at me on my bicycle, and on a few occasions, nearly struck me down when trying to cross an intersection.  I can’t imagine trying to share the road with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment